Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop caps 'issue'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohriver

Technical User
Mar 22, 2000
US
I am designing a 32-page catalog for a literary press. I want to use Drop caps in the excerpts which appear on each page, and I would like this to be uniform and consistent.

However, I'm only having about 50% success at transforming the first character ( sometimes two characters, when a quotation mark is included ) into a drop cap. The other half of the time, when I click in the paragraph and attempt to apply the paragraph style which has the drop cap attribute, absolutely nothing happens. Try as I might, I cannot then select the letter or characters and through any menu choice, create a drop cap.
This is really driving me up the wall. Why does it work sometimes, not others? Anyone? thank you. RL

"The learning curve is a MYTH! Learning in this industry is represented best by a right angle..."

Marcus,

Thank you for responding to my Drop Caps question.
No, I don't believe there is a red '+' on the Style...

I had to make a deadline on this project so I did my
best to convey a sense of unity throughout the catalog; however, I was NEVER able to insert Drop Caps into any of the paragraphs which it failed to work in on the first attempt.

It's like something 'stuck' which was not visible or available for me to delete or replace? Something like this sometimes occurs when I FTP files to my host server. I have found the only way to 'fix' this bug is delete the 'file' from the server and resend. Perhaps that's what I need to try in InDesign: delete the paragraph, and reinsert?

Thank you again for your assistance.

"The learning curve is a MYTH! Learning in this industry is represented best by a right angle..."

I mean this Plus symbol...

Picture-1.jpg

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back