Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

david196

Technical User
Nov 28, 2004
GB
hi
I recently formatted a friends computer. I was careful to run driver toolkit prog to backup all his drivers to a safe place. Putting them back has prooved problematic. Firstly, there are a lot of drivers and I'm not sure which one does which device. trial and error gets me through this part, but a more serious problem is the Conexant Modem Enumerator is asking for Instalation Disk 1 - I have no idea what thats all about. i thought it was a case of going to where I stored the drivers and put them back.

Anybody got any information for me about why its asking for installation discs and what can I do about it.

Some drivers, dll's, etc. can only be installed by the installation disks. Sometimes you can go to the manufacturer's website and d/l the files. If no disc, and can't get the files, Modems are cheap - and a new one would save a lot of time trying to find the old info.

It probably is looking for a .inf file which tells the OS what driver to load.

Usual way is to pull the card, look for the FCC ID, look on the FCC site for the manufacturer, then go there to download the driver set.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

if you got the orig system disks - it's on there
OEMs usually create 'phony' DISK1, DISK2 entries on the installation media to fake the hardware installer, which wants to always look to the floppy drive A:\ first.

like edfair said it's an inf file it needs - so try to update the driver for the modem through Device Mangler >> Modems >> Properties >> Driver and tell it you want to select it yourself and point it to the \WINDOWS\inf folder -or- the CDROM Dir that contains the inf file, if you have it.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks
I think I will take the advice to buy a cheap Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back