Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

driver problem - black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordisecours

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
CA
once a month on a PC with windows xp, I have a problem , we open the computer , everything open well, BUT WE DON'T see anything - black screen - no mouse pointer, no cursor , just hear the XP welcome music.

The led on keyboard for num lock and cap lock work, can stop computer with ALT+F4 and ALT+T

I reboot in safe mode, uninstall graphic card and reboot and everything back for a month or average...

I downloaded the latest driver of the card... same problem

Machine is "suppose" to be clear of virus/spyware...

anyone have an idea ?

..._ - _ - every trouble shooting begin with power ON !! we always forgot one day. :) HAVE A NICE DAY.

Could be a failing graphics card. Try swapping it out & see what happens.

I've had that problem before, where the graphics drivers didn't "stick", but it always reverted to Windows default display driver, not a black screen. Makes me tend to agree it could be a hardware fault. How's the system's cooling strategy?

Tony

Users helping Users...

You didn't use a restore point to get the video back did you?
Once a month = Windows update ?

I just had a video driver break when I installed sp3. Had to boot to safe mode and roll back with a restore point to get it back.

Thanks to all for ryour answers,

This week the problem came back again, can not have screen to show , regualr boot or safe mode,...

Just pull out the add-on card and reconfigure the on-board card and everything goes like new...

after 15 or 20 open-close routine test, everything seem to hold ok.

I will come back in post if problem come back ( in a month ?? )

thanks to all to help with your answer.

I will try to post even if everythign is ok in one month.

..._ - _ - every trouble shooting begin with power ON !! we always forgot one day. :) HAVE A NICE DAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back