Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver for Integrated Smart Array Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

martynh

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
GB
I've inherited a Compaq server with an "Integrated Smart Array Controller", or so it says during the boot process. The server has no o/s at present. I'm trying to put Windows NT 4 on it to test it out. However, Windows can't see the logical drive (made up from 3*18 Gbyte drives). I guess I need the driver for the Array controller. The only download on the (hp) web site I can see gives me a self exanding .exe file. I think this is for use when Win NT is running, not when the O/S hasn't been installed. Does anyone know where I can get the driver to use during the installation?

The .exe doesn't seem to run on my machine - I think it's probably detecting that I'm not running Win NT. I don't have Win NT elsewhere to test it out on.

If you have a copy, I'd be grateful for a copy being emailed to martyn_hodgson@compuserve.com

Thanks

Martyn

Things have moved on since my posting. I've upgraded the firmware to V1.5 (from 1.34). Now when I boot the machine when I get the option to go into the array configuration (F8) my key presses are ignored! I've tried two keyboards. So now I can't even look at/modify the RAID set up.

I notice when I try to install Win2K that the device driver is loaded for the Integrated Smart Array Controller, as part of the processing for the setup disk #3. When it gets to the end of disk #4, the install just hangs on the Windows setup blue screen.

Any suggestions anyone?

get a compaq smart start disk

this will configure the server with compaq agents
life is easier with this

If you can't get your hands on a SmartStart CD:
What file did you download? If it was CP002547.exe, this has the necessary files for installing the driver during NT setup (TXTSETUP.OEM). Extract them to a floppy. The problem is you have to press F6 when NT setup starts (as soon as you get the blue background). There is no prompt for pressing F6 like there is under Win2K, but it does work. Then you can add additional SCSI drivers (press S), and use the floppy disk mentioned above. You must install the driver here, if you don't press F6 and try and add the driver later, setup will say it can't find any hard disks.
The readme included in the download has a good description, too.
Regards,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back