Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver errors in DecisionStream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moortt

MIS
Apr 17, 2007
Hi all,

I am trying to create a fact build in DecisionStream that pulls a certain population of data from Oracle database (operational db) into a SQL Server database (Data warehouse). The build executes perfectly for a small population of data but when i try to do a bulk insert it fails with the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Invalid character for cast specification.
SQLSTATE = 22018, Error = 0
Build 'DimBio' failed

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
Thangam

Hi,

Looks like there's a datatype issue that SQL Server doesn't like. My guess (clairvoyance head on!) is that it's one of the dates from Oracle that contains something like 1900-01-00 which cannot be converted to a valid date in SQL Server. If you build a hierarchy containing all your valid dates (use the Date Hierarchy Wizard), then validate the dates coming into your build against this, it should weed out the Oracle rows with invalid dates for you and send them to a reject file. Once you know the scale of the problem, you can code a derivation to convert the date to a valid entry for the rows in question.

Hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree...

Best regards,

MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back