Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVE SPEED????

Status
Not open for further replies.

azulita

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
MX
Hello!

I have a Library with 6 drives LTO Ultrium 3,
When BACKUP (A) start the speed in a drive is 11 MB/s but when the BACKUP (B) start the speed in other drive is very poor 279 KB/s

writing at 279 KB/s, 366 GB, 4 sessions
writing at 11 MB/s, 123 GB, 12 sessions

I want that every drive having 11MB/s

=/

Could you helpme with this problem?

Thanks!!!!

Hi,

with the info provided my first guess would be that you actually only have 100Mbit network. If that's the case, you will never get better performance than you already have.

You can test your drive speed by utilizing the BIGASM feature in networker. I suggest you have a look in the Performance Tuning guide for NetWorker to see how that works. That will give you your drive speed and that should be far better than 12 MB/s as you see now if your backup server isn't very old and slow.

Good luck!

Ususally i start such a request in complaining about missing information (as usual, sigh). However, in this case, i think the facts are obvious:

The amount of data simply surprised me. I do not believe that you really backed up 366GB ALL with 279KB/s. But let's assume that and do the math:

366 x 10^9 B x s
------------------ --> about 1.5 x 10^6 s
276 x 10^3 B

In other words: The backup so far lasted for 416.7 h or 17.3 days

If i did not any mistake, does this sound logical at all?

===================================================

Do not forget that the speed numbers are temporary values. I do not know how these are calculated but they may dramatically change with the next update. Do not rely on them to verify overall speed. Always use the amount of date vs the backup time from the savegroup completion report.

I also suggest that you run BIGASM simply to see whether the drive is capable to stream at all. Could be a drive, controller, media ot whatever problem.

Also, important issues are missing like:
- is this a local or a remote backup?
- if remote, is the network speed ok in general?
- few big files or a lot of very small files?
Things that in general affect backup speeds.

However, in this case, i suggest you simply ignored the facts by being mislead by a single number.

You also have an inadequate (for best efficiency) split of data. Try lowering your target sessions and removing any other lmiting factors so that of the 16 sessions, you get 8 onto each drive as it could be that some clients are feeding data through too slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back