Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi,im hoping someone can really help me with this.i seem to have really gotten myself in trouble this time.
i was trying to install linux as a second operating system.while in the setup i accidentally chose my second
harddrive which is used for storage 45 gig.i tried shutting
my pc off right away but when i booted up it had already made some changes.the problem is now i cant access that
harddrive i cant even see it.the only way is through
partition magic but i cant seem to change it to a fat 32
or anything else.does anyone know a way around this.
here is the drive info i get from partition magic
if it will help.thank you armand

Partition Information for Disk 2: 43,966.10 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
===========================================================================================================
Linux Ext2 Pri 2,047.3 0 0 63 4,192,902 4,192,902 0
*:SWAPSPACE2 Linux Swap Pri 250.10 0 2 4,193,028 514,017 514,017 0
Linux Ext2 Pri,Boot 41,668.6 0 1 4,707,045 85,337,280 85,337,280 0

Go to dos and type fdisk then delete the partition and re-create it then reboot - sorry there is no way that isn't expensive to save your data. DavidDude00@Daw Corp, 1999-2002
%

Hmmm, I got into trouble like this once and I have a recollection of building a boot sector on the drive. It does not matter if each drive has a boot as I use this cos I have swappable drives. If I remember, use your start up disk that windows makes and issue a sys command with a pointer for your lost drive, from the A: prompt, worth a try.

regards Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back