Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive misreporting free space when there is plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneworld

MIS
Sep 3, 1999
US
I have a machine that has a 10gig HD on it broken down into the following partions:<br>
c: 2.2 FAT<br>
d: 2.2 FAT<br>
e: 5.6 NTFS<br>
<br>
The machine has been working fine for quite some time. I had some trouble with visual studio and ended reinstalling v.s. which fixed the problem. However when you right click on the d: drive it claims that there is no free space available. There actually is 800mb there. I am unable to create or copy anything to this partition due to NT thinking the drive is full.<br>
<br>
Does anyone have any ideas?<br>
<br>
Oneworld <p> <br><a href=mailto: oneworld@goes.com> oneworld@goes.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

If you open my computer and right click on the d drive and go to the properties sheet for the drive it gives you the little pie chart. This shows that all of the 2.2 gb is being used with zero free space available. However if you open the drive and select all right click properties you only see it only comes up to 1.2gb used. That give you over 800mb unaccounted for. Even opening explorer and highlighting the drive the bottom reports correctly but when you go to create a file or folder it says that the drive is full. Disk Admin sees the drive as 2.2gb and so does DOS. Not sure what is going on. I have seen this before quite some time ago but it was so rare that I never added it to my notes. <p> <br><a href=mailto: oneworld@goes.com> oneworld@goes.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

There is a limit of 512 files in the root on a VFAT partition.<br>
VFAT is what your FAT partition actually is cause it was made by NT.<br>
Do you think you reached this limit?<br>
Is it possible that NT is confused because this limit and is showing a full drive?<br>
<br>
I am looking in an Exam Cram book NT SERVER 4 for the MCSE exam # 70-067<br>
ISBN 1-57610-190-8<br>

Have you tried defragging the drive? Or tried copying the contents to another drive, re-creating the partition and copying the files back? Maybe with the uninstall and re-install of Visual Studio the FAT got corrupted and thinks the old files are still on the drive.<br>
<br>
Paul

First of all when in explorer and selecting all, make sure in view menu you have show all files selected. Also in ntfs eack user gets they're own recycle bin. you need to empty all of them and your free space should be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back