Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive mirror issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyrlath

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
SEtup: Windows NT4.0 SP6a. 2 9gb scsi drives on same chain, setup in a mirror config thru Disk Admin.
Situation: Had a problem with an NT hotfix. Had to yank the main drive and manually copy files to it from another system. Booted the drive up, and broke the mirror thru disk administrator.
Everything works fine, until I re-attach the old secondary drive (The mirror) and then the system always boots from that drive. The drives are in the exact order they were before on the chain, and NO jumper/settings have been changed.

Can anyone explain to me why this is?

Start your system up with a fault-tolerance boot disk and make sure the mirror is in good shape, then try booting up without the boot disk.

Or plug the secondary disk in while the power is off and boot up with a floppy that has FDISK on it. Check and see which drive is set to be the active one and change it if you need to.

ShackDaddy

Well the mirror isnt in any shape, because it no longer exists. I used the fault disk to boot and remove the mirror. FDISK lists the correct drive as active, and the boot.ini points to disk 0 partition 1 which is correct. This makes no sense to me.

Well, don't look a gift horse... Can you just rebuild the mirror? You probably already have by now....

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back