Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive mapping asking for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagk

Technical User
May 9, 2001
GB
Hi,
I have a PC setup with Windows 2000 Pro SP2 and it has drives manually mapped to an NT server SP6A. Everytime I logon it asks for my password before re-connecting the drive mapping to the NT server. How can I get the drive mapping to connect automatically each time I logon instead of prompting me for a password. When mapping the drive I ticked the reconnect at logon.

If the NT Server is a Domain Controller, You may need to check DNS to see if the W2k-Pro Client is named in the Reverse Lookup Scope. I had a similar problem loading security policies from a DNS server which resulted in the DNS server requesting the netlogon service every time.

IF the NT Server is a client on a Peer-Peer Network, You might try to remove and re-add the shared drive.

Things could be worse, Atleast your your access is granted through the security netlogon.

Hope this helps..

Why don't you try deleting your drive mappings and reconnecting them each time you login through a login script or even autoexec.bat with the command:

net use x: \\<server name>\share /user:<domain>\<user> <password>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back