Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Mapping All Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpinning

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
AU
Hi All,

We have to make 150 new PC's and all need to have F drive mapped to a folder on a server, does anyone know a way of doing this so any user who logs onto the machine will have the drive\s already mapped?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brett

You could use a logon script that runs a batch file using the "net use" command.

Karl

Thanks Karl,

I had thought of that but i want this to be machine specific, and only for 15-20 pc's, not the entire company with well over 500 machines.

Any other ideas?

Brett

for those 15-20 pc's use a standard login procedure for example pc1, pc2....and write login script for those login names....there's no machine specific way to map a network drive since the login procedure looks at user not computer or it's name....

-------------------------------------
everything in life is a learning experience.....everything.......

Is your network an AD domain? If so, you can put the computers in their own OU and apply a login script to just that OU.

Does the drive mapping have to be specific to the computer or to the person who logs on?

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

Hi,

We want the mapping to be machine specific for any user who logs onto the machine.

We have a standart set of programs that are going to go out on these machines that require a mapped drive and we dont have the time or resources to tell a user how to map them. It needs 4 or 5 mapped drives to various servers.

Thanks for your help,
Brett

The /Home feature of the net use command is not enough?
Please advise.

Hey bcastner,

What does the /HOME switch do?

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

It makes the scripting job easier for you.

. The original question was how to map, say F: to all users at logon to a folder on a a server.

As many have answered:
The logon script allows the Net command:

net use f: /delete /Yes /P:No
net use f: \\server\share_name /Y /P:No

. Now the /Home switch

%HOMEDRIVE%—Displays the logged-on user's home drive set on the Computer Management Tool
%HOMEPATH%—Displays the path of the user's home directory
%HOMESHARE%—Displays the share name of the user's home directory

See: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back