Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Letters Do Not Follow Move Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarnold

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2001
US
W2K SP2 2-node cluster for Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Dell 2450's connected to Dell 650F via dual Brocade 2400. I am rebuilding this guy now, so it is pre-production and Exchange is not yet installed due to the problem described below.

Disk configuration went great: RAID1 for Quorum (Q:), RAID1 for Logs (L:), RAID5 for Information Store (I:). No problem with the Cluster Service install. Q: is in the default group with IP Address and Network Name resources. L: and Q: each have their own group. BUT, when I do a move group for all three groups, the drive letters Q:, L:, I: are not visible on the newly active node. They show up in Disk Management and CluAdmin correctly reports which node owns them, but I cannot get to them via My Computer or CMD. If I restart the passive node (like I would if I was doing a SP upgrade or something similar), the cluster service fails on the active node with event id's:

1016 - Microsoft Clustering Service failed to obtain a checkpoint from the cluster database for log file Q:\MSCS\quolog.log.

AND

1038 - Reservation of cluster disk '' has been lost. Please check your system and disk configuration.

Ideas, comments, stabs in the dark appreciated.

Rich

Has anyone replied to this??????

We have 2 cluster sets using Dell PowerVault SAN and we get the same errors. Microsoft don't know, Dell don't know!!! Any help please????

Regards,

Gareth Stone
gstone@royalsunalliance.co.nz

Hi,

I'm going for the stab in the dark as I'm not too clued up on Cluster, but I had a similar problem which was due to anti-virus software and the low level I/O filtering carried out. If you have AV software installed might be worth checking that it's cluster approved.
With a failover installation flags arte written to the shared storage which the passive node "knocks over" to check that they are re-written and the active node is still alive. AV software can cause problems with this process.
Also even if it is cluster approved it might not necessarily be Exchange cluster approved . . . Worth checking.

Hope this is helpful.

Try just logging off and back on. That works on out 8500/HSG-80 Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back