Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive letter lost when array loses power

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxster8

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2006
US
Hi All...Happy Holidays!

I have a WIN 2003 server with an array attached with fiber. It's a solution provided by a company called Stratus. Sometimes when the array loses power (I.E. power outage) the "E" drive disappears on the server. I have to go into computer management to re-assign the drive to E. Stratus says that it is a Windows issue, but I have never seen this with other arrays. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Don

I would start by getting a better/bigger UPS. The "array" shouldnt be losing power and going down hard like that, surprised dont have data corruption issues.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I used to have this happen with a Sun x4200 server running Windows 2003 connected to an IBM SAN. I would intermittently lose the SAN drive letter and have to re-assign it. No matter what new HBA drivers, storport drivers, hotfixes, etc the problem would not go away
Eventually we traced it to an issue with how the server handles certain PCI cards (this is on a particular AMD motherboard). The options were to move the HBA to another slot or install an updated AMD motherboard driver.
Don't know if this applies to you, but something you may want to look into with Stratus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back