Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive failure - replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberlynn

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
CA
I have an HP Proliant ML370 server with 3 Ultra 320 SCSI 72.8G HDDs.
I think these are hot swappable - but not sure...
The red light is flashing for one of the drives - I assume it's toast.
When I replace - does the new drive need to be the exact same size?
I wasn't around when this was set up - so I'm not sure how to proceed.
Thanks,
Amber

I think it depends on how your array was set up. If it was set up in a manner where that drive is hot swappable (part of a RAID 0 or 5 set), then you should be able to just pull the drive and replace it, and it will be rebuilt from the either the mirror (if RAID 0) or from the other drives (if RAID 5). You can do this while the system is up and being used and there should be no interruption of any kind to your users.

The only impact you might see is increased disk response time while the drive contents are being rebuilt.

Also, yes, it should be the same size, speed, and type. At least as close as you can get. I have mixed 10k RPM drives with 15k RPM drives with no problems. I have mixed Ultra 3 SCSI drives and Ultra 320 SCSI drive with no problems. I would not put a drive bigger or smaller than 72GB in though. I'm not sure what would happen, but I'm sure it wouldn't just plug in without something going awry.

You should be okay to put in a larger sized drive if that's all you have, but not a smaller one. If the drive is larger it will only use part of it up to the size of the smallest drive in the array. However, I would replace the drive with the correct sized one as soon as you get a chance...or swap out all the others and increase the size of your volume.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

SamBones

Assume you mean RAID 1 not 0.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Flashing red means a predictive failure...it's not dead yet.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back