Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Duplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

inforeqd

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I would like to make a master drive that I can copy to other clients. Any thoughts or ideas on what others have done and/or used to do such a process. I can utilize a disk duper since we have one at work, but I'm trying to get all the other options with problems etc. I keep getting asked by other people why we just don't "ghost" the drives. But I'm not sure if thats really the best way. Basically, to summarize. I have a golden master drive that I want to be able to replicate so I can roll out an office environment. Using something other than my disk duplicator (which I like to use a lot).

TIA
Inforeqd

The way and how-to's, would depend on the OS in use...

For Windows XP and prior, there would be RIS, where you would lay down the install files on a network storage, and install from there...

for Windows Vista and 7, you could use ImageX, which is the native tool to use there, also on installing from the network...

then there are programs such as:

Universal Imaging Utility for Windows 7

StorageCraft ShadowProtect Server Edition and ShadowProtect Desktop Edition

also have a read here for some interesting suggestions:

for Linux:

Hardware-independent Cloning of a Linux (Fedora) Install, Part 1

NOTE: if you are in an AD environment you may run into a problem with the SID's of the systems...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks Ben, I will look up those options. Appreciate the feedback!

Vista, XP, Windows 7 in the linux-desktop-forum?

Well...

If your clone drives are, from the hardware perspective identic, then you might have a look at 'dd'.

It can produce bitwise copies, even from the partitiontable, but if you copy a 500 GB drive completely to an 1 TB Drive, the later one will show up as 500 GB - Drive.

Another problem with dd is, that it will copy every single zerobit, so if you install a linux-system to a drive, which takes up 2 GB on a 1 TB drive, dd will copy 1 TB to the destinationdrives.

However, dd has many options, so you may prevent problems, if you expect them. For example, if the drives are hardwarely equal, you could copy the partitiontable with bootpartition, and then copy the data as usual.

don't visit my homepage:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back