Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive 4 drive slot sensor drive fault detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have a Poweredge 6650 that has been running fine with three 72GB drives in a RAID-1 stripe set. It is only powered on when needed as it hosts several VM machines that are used to test and verify things. Anyway on boot up today it complained about a failed drive and just my luck I only created a RAID-1 stripe set so no redundancy.
Anyway the data was backed up so not too big a deal. I pulled the failed drive and re-inserted it and it was recognised but showed 'Failure Predicted', so I brought it online. Through OpenManage I removed the old Virtual Disk and then created a new RAID-5 set (so only 136GB instead of 204GB). I then pulled the Failure Predicted drive and replaced it with a spare.
It is now rebuilding (taking ages..) but there is an error showing that appeared 25-seconds after the replacement was installed:
Code:
 Thu Aug 21 13:23:01 2008  Drive 4 drive slot sensor drive fault detected
Thu Aug 21 13:23:26 2008  Drive 4 drive slot sensor drive ok

I find it hard to believe the replacement drive is also faulty so is it possibly something else? I am not sure what the 'drive slot sensor drive fault detected' error actually means?

Cheers

Andy

How can you have three drives in a RAID 1? Is there an option for a hot spare?
Sounds like after reseating and it was recognized as a predictive failure, the error seems to maybe reflect when you pulled it out and replaced it with a new drive.

Burt

Sorry I got my RAID levels mixed up there.... RAID 0 (striping over 3 physical disks) is what I had not RAID 1 (mirroring). The new RAID 5 volume rebuilt OK in the end, however the new drive still showed 'predictive failure'. I'll take another look next week.

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back