Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive 0 on Eide Controller outside normal specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barleycorn

Vendor
Jan 8, 2005
US
My Dell computer is telling me that my drive 0 on the primary EIDE controler is operating outside of normal specifications. Dell says I need to replace the hard drive. Could this be something else?
Diagnostics says the drive is ok.

What diagnostics? (from the drive manufacturer's website?)

How is the machine telling you (POST screen, from within windows)

Any indication of a failing hard drive should be taken seriously (ie, if you haven't already - BACK UP).

Yes, I've worked on many Dells that pop up the same message right after POST. It's part of the built-in S.M.A.R.T. technology on the motherboard used to detect early signs of hardware failure for devices that support it.

As a drive wears, response times during bootup slow. S.M.A.R.T. detects this and warns you that the drive may go out soon. All you need to be concerned about at this point is making sure you have everything backed up. There's nothing wrong with continuing to use the drive until it fails. It could take months. Just be sure to make backups frequently (every couple weeks or so depending on how often you add/remove items to your PC), so that when it goes it won't set you back very far.

Remember, the error you're seeing could be a result of all kinds of readings from the drive, some more serious than others. Therefore, I would take it lightly with a grain of salt. The drive could easily have 1-2 years of life left, or it might go within the next week. The point is to move on as if you never received the error, always acting as if a hard drive can fail at anytime.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back