Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drilling on multiple values at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyB

Programmer
Sep 17, 2001
US
Is there a way to drill on multiple values at once? In other words, given the following table:

Region Sales
1 299.00
2 102.00
3 400.00
... ...

Can I drill on both regions 1 and 2 at the same time, effectivley combining the results?

I know I can write the SQL to do this, but I can't seem to find anything in BO to accomodate such functionality. This seems like a rather simple request, and I find it hard to believe that such functionality is unavailable.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Hi JonnyB.

Your purpose can be solved. Just follow the following steps.

1)Group the region like R1( for 1,2), R2 (for 3,4) and so on. This will create one additional variable.
2)Edit this varabile give suitable name to it.
3)Go to menubar--> analysis-->hierarchy.
4)add this newly created varable in the hirarchy.
5)Make sure that this variable is up in the hierarchy to region.

If you need to know more let me know.

Shyam Rewaskar

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for a more dynamic way to do this. I may not know ahead of time that I wish to group regions 1 and 2 together. Basically, what I really need is a way to dynamically decide which regions to drill on. For example, I want to compare regions 3 and 7 and look at their sales figures, drilling down on both region to see details.

Also, did BO change the way drilling functions? According to David Jackson's book, BO Companion, if I have a table like the one in my original post, double-clicking on the dimension value region will drill down to the next object in the hierarchy. Double-clicking on the measure variable of revenue will bring all the objects lower in the hierarchy into the table.

This doesn't happen with BO v5. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back