Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilling down to template with Page by

Status
Not open for further replies.

lidsurfer

Technical User
Aug 18, 2004
AU
Ok, I have a template which has Area as the column attribute. When a user drills down into a specific Area, it opens a new template which displays branches. This template has Area as a Page By field, and Branch as the column attibute. The issue I have is as follows:

When the user drills down into an Area, the incorrects branches are displayed. This is because the Page By field displays the first Area not the Area that you drilled into.

So regardless of what the user selects to drill into, the branches of the first Area in the page by will always be displayed.

Is there a way that the Page By can default to whatever the user selected to drill into?

Hope someone can help.

Jared

there a way that the Page By can default to whatever the user selected to drill into?

Yes.
Report Data options
General/Drilling

There are options under 'Add the current page by element as part of filter when drilling from:'

I think the 'any other part of the report' checkbox may be what you want.

The sql of the drill down will then have something like
and area in (1)

Hi Spod,

Thank you for this...

I looked into the above (and can not confirm as I will not be onsite until next week.

You say to use this:

Any other part of the report: The page-by element is added to the filter when you drill from anywhere except a page-by field.

However, The template I am drilling from, does not have a page by field.

I.e. Area template, has all Areas listed as column attributes. You can then drill onto one of these, to open a Branch Template, which has an Area Page By...

Do you believe that the Page By in the Branch template will automatically default to what the user chose to drill down into on the Area template?

Perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick here....I will try next week and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

You can set report data options at template level as well as report level. So if you're drilling from a report with no page-by to a template with a page-by with this set you should be ok.

Likewise the setting should carry down on a standard drill down (i.e year to quarter) so if a user where to change the format of the report and move an attribute to the page-by then this will carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back