Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DrillDownGroupLevel Conceptualization 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtless

Programmer
Apr 16, 2010
CA
Morning all.

In getting up to speed on CR I have two drill down reports that are both working, but seemingly in different fashions. I'm missing something.

In report "D" I display client records (there's only one from each client) - at DDGL (DrillDownGroupLevel)=0.

It then groups on county. At this level (DDGL=1) data from the client record is summed, and displayed in Group Header 1.

In report "G" the data set is different - there may be multiple client records. Client details are displayed at DDGL=2 (NOT 0, like the other report.). I then grouped on client ID, and this summarized data is at DDGL=1, with just one line per client. The second group (counties) further summarizes, at DDGL=2.

So in one report the level with the greatest detail is DDGL 2, and in the other it is 0.

Is this a function of the order in which the report was designed?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. (To facilitate future mods and support I want to adopt a consistent methodology.)

Thanks

D

I am speaking from XI,,,but if you do a group level expert,, how the groups arranged?? They usually go, from most to least,, say by salesman, by customer, by product. These would be your groups,, and that is how they are listed in the group level expert.

You would ordinarily design your report by creating groups and then hiding the groups and detail that you want to drill into--but the order of the drilldown, depends upon your original groupings. Since groups are nested, if you have an outer client group and an inner county group, then when you drill down, the county group will only display information for the particular client. If you have a third group on company, then the only companies that will display when you drill again are those that are in the county group for that specific client, etc.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back