Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dreamweaver vs. GoLive

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrisreid

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
GB
I am currently evaluating GoLive 5.0 and Dreamweaver 4.0 in an attempt to find out which will better suit my web-development needs. There are features I like about both, but before I make my final decision, I would like to know if there are any web-developers out there who have tried both products, what they think of them, pros + cons of each, etc..

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Alan Harris-Reid

It depends on your past experience.

If you are more of a "designer" with lots of Photoshop and Illustrator work behind you I'd go with Golive ... especially if the type of sites you are making will be more of a static / brochure style.

If not, then I'd go with Dreamweaver / Ultradev. It's a more powerful application in my opinion as it gives you all the quick WYSIWYG tools to make life a little easier AND still very good control over your code. Add Ultradev's support for ASP, JSP, ColdFusion and you've got a solid package for data-driven web development.

Golive's "Dynamic Link" can't hold a candle to Ultradev; though you can integrate "Lasso" database development software which is supposed to be quite good - but involves an unecessary extra learning curve in my opinion.

So that's my take on the two. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back