Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dreamweaver & e-commerce 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebeji001

Technical User
Apr 9, 2001
MT
I am a newbie to the internet world and use DW3 for site building. My current endevour is to build an ecommerce site for a friend of mine. I would like to use DW3 however I am not sure if the software is capable of handling a fully fledged ecommerce site (with shopping cart, online payment etc.)

I was wondering if someone could give me more information or indicate a site were to obtain more information on how to use DW3 for an ecommerce site or combine it with additional software to achieve my aim?

If you are doing the coding for the site (or will be looking at much pre-made code) -- You should really think about stepping up to some sort of "development" software package. Personally, I like to use Microsoft's InterDev for development, but people seem to like DW UltraDev, as well. I've never used it, but if it's anywhere near as good as other Macromedia products, I don't see how you could go wrong. DW is still king for design of a site, however, although with UltraDev, you're likely to get the same design software that's in DW bundled all together in one nice, neat package.

The reason you really should get something else if you move out of design into development is that DW3's code inspector is really lacking in the way of code highlighting, auto complete, tips, etc... that make development a breeze with software that's designed to do that type of thing...

I would probably go download a trial version of UltraDev just to see what you think of it before I paid big bucks for the full version -- If you don't like it, then I would definitely recommend InterDev... what it lacks in design bells and whistles, it more than makes up for in development tools -- and between InterDev and DW, there isn't anything you can't do.

good luck! :)
Paul Prewett

ebeji001: I am currently using DW4 to develop the re-design (with help from a consultant) of our e-commerce site. I am using some of our original forms (developed in HoTMetaL Pro), importing them into DW4 and spiffing them up. re shopping cart, I am integrating one called Check It Out (CIO).

Use DW Ultra Dev if you want database accessed webpages. I don't need that for our purposes; just want to keep it simple.

QuickEStore ( is a nice, powerful-yet-flexible e-commerce application written in Cold Fusion. It should be very compatible with Dream Weaver and yet allow you to modify and tweak the CF code as well as the HTML to achieve the look you desire. It may be worth looking at. The cost is low ($99) and it can save you hours and hours of development as you try to invent the wheel, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back