Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DrawString and Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I'm working on a simple clothing designer, and I'm running into a bit of a stumbling block with fonts.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation about the font in DrawString... I see reference to loading TrueType fonts by name into a FontFamily; other sites just load the font (which I'm assuming is a system font)... results are hit-and-miss... sometimes it renders the text as just "Arial"... sometimes it doesn't render it at all.

Here is a subroutine that I'm working on... it's obviously not finished, and not quite working properly yet.

Any thoughts or comments?

Code:
  Protected Sub RenderText(ByVal sText As String, ByVal x As Integer, ByVal y As Integer, ByVal sFont As String, ByVal FontSize As Single, ByVal Color As String, ByVal Layer As Integer, Optional ByVal Center As Boolean = False)
            ' sText = Text to render
            ' x and y = coordinates
            ' Font = font name - must exist in the font folder 
            ' FontSize = Font Size
            ' Color = color of font
            ' Layer = Layer (1-5) to place rendered text.  Usually 3, 4, or 5
            ' Center (default = false) = Should text be centered on X Position or not

Dim drawFont As New Font(sFont, FontSize)

' Dim bBrush As New SolidBrush(Drawing.Color.FromName(Color))
            Dim col As System.Drawing.Color = System.Drawing.ColorTranslator.FromHtml(Color)
            Dim bBrush As SolidBrush = New SolidBrush(col)

Dim newImage As New System.Drawing.Bitmap(500, 500)
            Dim objGraphics As System.Drawing.Graphics
            objGraphics = System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(newImage)
            objGraphics.Clear(Drawing.Color.Transparent)

If Center = False Then
                objGraphics.DrawString(sText, drawFont, bBrush, New Point(x, y))
            Else
               ' Haven't even thought this out yet...

End If
            Dim tmpFile As String = GetTempFile()
            newImage.Save(Server.MapPath(tmpFile))

Select Case Layer
                Case 1
                    imgLayer1.ImageUrl = tmpFile
                Case 2
                    imgLayer2.ImageUrl = tmpFile
                Case 3
                    imgLayer3.ImageUrl = tmpFile
                Case 4
                    imgLayer4.ImageUrl = tmpFile
                Case 5
                    imgLayer5.ImageUrl = tmpFile
            End Select

End Sub

It is doing the layer insertion and so forth fine... the imgLayerx is a <asp:Image /> that I am setting the ImageURL to a temp file that I'm creating. I *believe* there may be a way to do that as a memorystream object so that I don't have to create all these temp files... but I'm not sure how I would do that either.

Any help/insight/directions to tutorials/etc. is GREATLY appreciated.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Well, I got the font thing working. Meanwhile, I'd still like to know if there's a way to not have to create a bunch of temp files...

Is there a way to bind an asp:image to an in-memory generated image?

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back