Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing in METRIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmee

Technical User
Jul 11, 2005
CA
I’ve been using CAD for about 8 years and I have never fully understood the proper way (if there is one) to draw in metric. I’ve been told 2 ways:
1. change your units to decimal.
2. have your units in imperial and put a conversion in your dimension style
I don’t want to draw in imperial because it’s a hassle to keep converting things when I’m checking sizes.
My problem is…..I’ve been drawing in decimal (because I wanted it in metric) but when I go to scale the drawing in paper space it’s not to scale. I know how to scale drawings, the paper size is correct, the viewport is correct, everything is fine.
For example… I have a drawing in decimal units, I scaled it in the view port at 1:1500 on a 24x36 size paper. When I print it it’s not to scale.
How am I suppose to draw in metric when there’s no unit for it. I know the decimal unit isn’t metric but I don’t know what else to use.

The problem is you're mixing metric/imperial units between modelspace and paperspace, since you have an imperial paper size. You either need to use metric paper (mm) or factor in a conversion. You want it to plot at 1:1500. Think 1 plotted inch=1500 MS inches. But MS is in mm, so 1500 inches = 1500 x 25.4 = 38,100 mm. So to scale a viewport, do a zoom 1/38100 xp. (I hoped I worked that out correctly) :)

Thanks that helped.
I changed the scale in the "page setup" option to 1"=25.4units and everything came out to scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back