Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drawback of using paypal

Status
Not open for further replies.

inusrat

Programmer
Feb 28, 2004
CA
Hi,

I will really apreciate if somone experienced with PayPal can help me out.

I am trying to learn PayPal and trying to integrate one of my shopping cart site with PayPal. I notied one thing , I don't know if there is any way around it.

I noticed that once you go from your site to PayPal during check out process, you can make only the header of the PayPal page looks somewhat like your website, but the page stills clealy looks like some other website, isn't that right?

Not only this you can only add a image as the header, which also has to be on secure server.

Thanks

You are correct. The consumer has to be directed over to Paypal's secure webserver so they know who is getting their money. Ultimately, it is you, but it is Paypal's merchant account that is allowing the transaction. Most all third party processors work this way.

A way around it is to get your own merchant account and an electronic payment gateway. Most gateways in the United States (LinkPoint, Authoriznet.com, Verisign) provider their own API so you can capture & process credit cards on your own secure website.

Other problem I noticed when you use PayPal is the inventory controll. In my shopping cart logic right before buying I see to make sure that products not been sitting in the cart for more than 1 hour. I do not allow to customers to hold the products in the cart for more than one hour. Any product for longer than one hour I took it out from the shopping cart so others can buy that. But in case of PayPal once they leave my site i don't have any control over that or anyway of knowing for how long they wil be sitiing at Paypal site...

I don't think its only PayPal issue.

VISA and Mastercard are developed framework called VbV (VerifiedByVisa) and SecureNet (I guess, something like that) which reuqires acquirers to certify in it, otherwise they will loose all customer not present chargebacks...

So...

MasterCard is called MSC - MasterCard Secure code. These have been around for awhile - but just getting more popular with merchants. They help with the "I didn't do its". But they do require customer interaction - meaning all recurring billing is not covered

iv been trying to figure out paypal myself.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of money paypal is willing to do the transaction for. Let say a consumer buys something thats $4.99 with shipping and handling included. Will paypal process the $4.99?

Also, how much does paypal charge for each transaction? Does it charge % or a flat fee?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of money paypal is willing to do the transaction for. Let say a consumer buys something thats $4.99 with shipping and handling included. Will paypal process the $4.99?

Also, how much does paypal charge for each transaction? Does it charge % or a flat fee?
Paypal will process it - they will still get their money. For fees, check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back