Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draw 9 - How To Bend a Collection of Objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalpa99

Technical User
Feb 11, 2007
CA
As a landscape designer I am frequently faced with designing patterns in walkways & patios with square & rectangular shaped landscape pavers. CorelDraw is terrific for this application when the walkways, patios, etc are straight, square or rectangular. But often I need to go around corners or bends or make an "S" curve.

In fact I don't know how to make a plain walkway that goes around a bend, let alone one with many pavers in it.

I have absolutely no clue as to how to go about it. All help is greatly appreciated. I am using Draw 9.

Here is an example of a straight walkway that I want to bend around a corner:

I had a rather lengthy answer posted, but as often happens with this forum, my post didn't take....

So the short version, if you can create a rectangular box, and shape it to the overall layout of your path, you can use a bitmap or other texture fill to fill the walkway - IF - you are using something with no orientation - such as cobblestone, or slate. However, for something as complex as your image, you will have to most likely draw the smallest cross-sectional pattern you can make - of just say 6 pavers in your example - 2 dark gray on each of the sides, and 2 beige middle blocks. Then you will have to paste those blocks in manually along your path. This will give you the option of tapering and expanding edges as needed to go around curves. For long straight runs, you can duplicate multiple sections so each section grows in length.

If this is something you are doing profesionally, and will be doing frequently, version X3 has the Interactive Fill and Interactive Mesh tools. These could help with situations such as complex patterns, where orientation matters. This can help you change the direction a fill is running, as well as cheating your way around curves. Something to consider if you use frequent paver styles or walkways that are more custom in nature. These could be created ahead of time, and filled on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back