Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dragdrop tedious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameboy9

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
US
I'm trying to drag a container to anywhere in a form. I'm successful in doing so, but not before having some 150 dragdrop methods in every single control (a three page pageframe that do quite a bit of stuff in each page) that do the same thing:
LPARAMETERS oSource, nXCoord, nYCoord
thisform.DragDrop(oSource, nXCoord, nYCoord)

Surely there's a way to do it only once or a couple times instead of 150 that I'm not seeing..... isn't there? Thanks.

Put the: thisform.DragDrop(oSource, nXCoord, nYCoord)
in the parent class your controls are subclassed from.

You did subclass all the standard VFP controls before using them, didn't you? [wink]

If you care to, you can now create your own control classes, then hack the SCX to redefine all the controls as your own subclass.

Always backup an SCX/SCT or VCX/VCT before hacking!!

If you create your own subclasses of all the controls, ( ) naming them like: myLabel, myTextBox, etc, then do this:
Code:
USE myform.SCX
REPLACE ALL Class WITH 'my'+alltrim(class), ;
            classloc WITH 'myclasses.vcx' ;
  for not inlist(class,'','dataenvironment','form')
USE

this is a utility designed to do the above: faq184-2849
... probably safer than the above hack...

Gameboy,

What do you want to happen as the result of the drop? If you want each of the objects to trigger a different action as a result of the drop, you will indeed have to write code in all the dragdrop methods. But I doubt that it is the case. You probably only have one drag target on the form. For the other controls, it is sufficient to change the drag mouse pointer to a "no drop" icon, which you can do with THISFORM.SetAll.

If that doesn't answer your question, perhaps you could supply a little more information about what you are trying to achieve.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back