Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drag and Drop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modex

Programmer
Sep 15, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I have a strange problem here at work that is causing a bit of a problem

Basically I have a number of people who drag and drop a second instance mail item to a file system folder get a message saying file already exists, do you want to overwrite?, and then I have another lot who when they do the same thing get no message and the mail message is stored in the folder as follows:-

Expense report OIE163824 for Gareth.msg
Expense report OIE163824 for Gareth(1).msg
Expense report OIE163824 for Gareth(2).msg
Expense report OIE163824 for Gareth(3).msg

Etc etc etc.

I need to know what to change in explorer or the registry to enable everyone to get the ability to use the paste method that does NOT ask for the file to be replaced.

I have searched through the web, Tek Tips and Microsoft to try and find the answer, but o no avail.

Any help would really be a great help to maintain harmony here in the office.

Many thanks

ModeX

I will venture forth where angels fear to tread.

It is my belief that the behavior of what you think are the "bad" clients is absolutely correct.

If I can abstract this issue: I have two folders, Folder A and FolderB.

First case:
No matter if I drag or drop, cut or copy and then paste, the contents of a file from FolderA to FolderB:

. if the file does not exist in FolderB, no message
. if the file exists in FolderB, a prompt to overwrite

Second case: I am in FolderA.
If I cut or copy and then paste, and secondary file image is created without prompting. If an application, Windows aware, attempts to create a file instance in the same folder with a matching file, there is no prompting.

I suspect that the users where this "works" are not telling you the whole story. One thing to watch for, is whether where it "works" there is a mail rule for OE or Outlook that automaticly moves based on the rule the incoming email to a folder.

Otherwise, what you feel is the "working" machines are broken, and I would love to hear how they did it. My guess -- mail rules were set to move the incoming email to folders.

Perhaps (definitely an only perhaps!), Windows is creating a zero byte version of the file (or a zero byte temp file which it thinks has the same name as the dragged file) when you first drop the file into the destination folder. And then when it proceeds to copy the file across it finds it already exists?

Check what is going on in the destination folder, before and after the various steps you undertake during the procedure, in particular when the overwrite question is displayed and before the question is answered by the user.

What access permissions do the users have to the destination folder? Are they exactly the same for the group of users who are asked to overwrite as they are for the users who are not asked this question?

What is the outcome (if it is possible) if you were to use the Save As procedure on the E-mail file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back