Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DR Backups, HP Surestore drives and Quantum ValueLoader issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdArm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Hi all,
I Have a little issue. I've been commissioned with the task of ensuring we can restore all of our data from scratch in the event of a DR scenario. Currently we have two backups devices - a Quantum DLT ValueLoader (8 tape) that caters for our file server backups and a HP SureStore DLT drive that handles our Exchange backups. The drive that will be at our DR site is a re-badged HP Surestore. Now here's my problem; I've had ongoing problems whereby tapes that were created on the HP drive will not be read on the Quantum drive and vice versa. Therefore, if you cannot read from that tape, you cannot restore from it - I guess there's a specific way each individual manufacturer writes to tapes. Is there any way I can navigate around this problem and achieve the ability to read and restore from a Quantum written tapes on a HP drive?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ColdArm

Nope, everything I've seen says you have to restore from the same type of tape drive as you made the backup to.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back