Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DPI Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webdev17

Programmer
Feb 6, 2006
US
Hi,

I have a TIFF file that's currently 300dpi. I need to change it to 600dpi. I was assuming I do this in Photoshop by changing the resolution from 300 to 600, but when I apply this, it makes my image larger and distored. I tried again by setting the resolution to 600 and keeping the pixel height and width at to the origial values. This creates an image with the same file size as the 300dpi image, but it prints smaller. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Hi designer17, this is correct, but maybe not what you need. If you must have a 600 dpi image with the same print size, you have to check the "resample" checkbox. Not a so good idea, but sometime needed. Pay attention to the resample method, bicubic is usually the best. You will notice the file size increases 4 times.
Remeber, DPI is a ratio, never the "size" of an image, just as MPH is not a distance between two towns

DPI is a ratio, never the "size" of an image, just as MPH is not a distance between two towns

Great analogy and explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back