Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

downloading receiving file via com port

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesilkalem

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2001
TR
hello I have procom 4.8 and I connected my pc to a Unix server .. I see $ shell and files..

my connnection to unix is via com1 port. I dont have ethernet or via ip connection.
how can I transfer these files to my computer? should I use write a script or is it possible using data menu - send receive file ..

thanks.

Hello,

I normally do this with a Capture File. Once the Capture File is Opened, you can then do a Cat <File> from the Unix System and Capture the Output on your Computer.

Note that with Unix, you may have to setup Procomm to add a New Line/Carriage Return, or you may get one Continuous Line from Unix.

If these are text files, you can do what hank recommends. However, if they are binary files, then you will need to use a file transfer protocol such as Kermit or Zmodem. You would need to talk to your system administrator to determine what file transfer protocols your Unix machine has available to it, as well as determine the commands necessary to initiate the file transfer from the Unix side (this is usually something simple such as &quot;sz filename&quot; to start a Zmodem transfer). Kermit or Zmodem would be the best to use since they are more robust than other file transfer protocols and Procomm can start a Zmodem or Kermit transfer automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back