Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloadind CSV files in IE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturi

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Hi

On my old PC, using Internet Explorer 6.0, I used to download a CSV file. It used to prompt me to OPEN or SAVE. When I saved the file to disk I could open it Excel.

On my new PC, again with IE 6.0, I try to download the same CSV file and instead of prompting me to SAVE the file, it opens the file in IE (within an Excel frame). This looks like CSV format but the commas are not translated into separate cells

There must be somewhere in XP or IE a flag that says 'Download a file' or 'Open in browser'

But I can't find it. Does anyoe know where and what it is please.

M

You set this for each file type, e.g. for .csv :
Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
Find the .csv association (should be Microsoft Office Excel)
Edit, (or click Advanced) and check the "Confirm open after download" box

bcastner

Thanks for this. But the problem is before I use File Explorer. In IE - I want it to allow me to save to file before it opens it IE (an Excel frame in IE)

So it is a setting in Internet Explorer and not File Explorer.

(The association oyu suggested was already there)

Regards, M

The setting you want can be found through either Explorer, View or through Control Panel, Folder Options. Did you check the "Confirm open after download" box? This controls in Internet Explorer whether you receive the download dialogue box or not.

How do I configure Internet Explorer to open an Office file in the appropriate Office program?

These are old MSKB articles but they might be worth a read?

How to configure Internet Explorer to open Office documents in the appropriate Office program instead of in Internet Explorer

Not Prompted to Specify Download Folder for File (Q177976)

Cannot Specify Default Download Folder in Internet Explorer (Q159859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back