Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Download Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gred69

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
GB
Hi! might be a long shot but I would like to test out MS Server 2000 and it doesn't seem that MS has it to download. Is there somewhere I can get it even an evaluation copy but of course I would rather the full version if any one can help that would be great!

Contact Microsoft. They do have timed evaluation versions of various products available. They also ship some of them from time to time with the CD subscription of TecchNet. In any case, these products are far too large for download and would need to be ordered on CD.

In the case of W2K server, since it is about to become al "old" version due to the retail release of WinXP Server I doubt that there are any evals left. MS will be pushing XP instead since it will be the current release.

Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Thanks Jeff!

I'm not sure I would need the server edition but I like to play with these things for the experience. It might be a stupid question but what would be the main advantage to a small network if there was the server installed?

I have a small peer to peer with mainly Win2k Pro a linux distro for file sharing but I cant install programs like office 2000 and web design software and was thinking that the best solution for the windows based programs would to be to install them on the server edition and then the other connected computers could share the programs without me having to install them on all machines.

Can I get away with doing this on Win2k Pro?

To be honest, a domain is just better than a workgroup. Centralisted network management, easy sharing of apps, docs and hardware, generally faster and if your planning to grow, I would strongly recommend a Server. Win2k Server really is a great program and I certianly enjoy working on it. I only have about 14 machines on the network. When I deployed the server there was about 8! Peer to peer is fine for a maximum of 6 machines, after that, its just much simpler to have a server. That way you take the load off the workstation.
What about expansion for the future? Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

You can order an evaluation copy of W2K Advanced Server which will run for (I believe) 45 days.

Steve is right about the domain. Also, you cannot run Office without "installing" it. It isn't just a question of where the files physically reside, there are application registrations and other registry settings that need to be made on each workstations local registry for the application to work. On top of that, even with applications that can be installed to run from a server, you still need to purchase a separate license for each workstation that is going to run them unless you are running Windows Terminal Server (which is a completely different ballgame...).

If you are in a real company that plans on surviving more than a couple of years (and therefore will need to control it's information and processes) you put in a server, with a true domain and store ALL information on the server. The only reason to have hard disks in workstations is to speed up applications.

If you like chaos and enjoy having NO control over your business, you set up a pure peer to peer network and give your end users free reign to do whatever they think they need to to solve their current problems with no thought given to running a sustainable business in the future.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back