Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Download data

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteCan

Programmer
Jan 15, 2002
GB
Various toolsets I have used in the past have provided the functionality to enable you to download a report into another product such as Excel.
Is this easily achieveable to set up?

Your question seems to ask how to download an Excel document directly into Excel. I assume what you want to know is how to generate an Excel document automatically on the web server from your data? The answer to the first would be simply provide a link to the Excel doc. When a user clicks on it, if they have a normal Excel install, Excel will automatically start and open the document. If the user does not have Excel, they will get a normal download window. If you have questions regarding how to build an Excel document in ASP, I can help. I'm not a guru in MS Office stuff, but I know how to do it, and can help you get started. Here is a helpful link on the subject that I used to get started.

What I'm asking is that I currently have a 'report' which is generated each time a user selects an option. This report is generated to an .asp page.
What I'd like to do is be able to have an option that will allow the user to download this information into Excel

Goto
Click on the Knowledge Base link from the Support menu in the upper right corner.

Select "Active Server Pages" from the product list.

Type "Microsoft Excel" in the search term.

Search for more than 25 results.

You'll get a ton of advice including the following.

HOWTO: Format an Excel Workbook While Streaming MIME Content

(271572) - This article demonstrates how you can use Active Server Pages (ASP) to create a formatted workbook that can be streamed as MIME content to Microsoft Excel.

ToddWW

Goto
Click on the Knowledge Base link from the Support menu in the upper right corner.

Select "Active Server Pages" from the product list.

Type "Microsoft Excel" in the search term.

Search for more than 25 results.

You'll get a ton of advice including the following.

HOWTO: Format an Excel Workbook While Streaming MIME Content

(271572) - This article demonstrates how you can use Active Server Pages (ASP) to create a formatted workbook that can be streamed as MIME content to Microsoft Excel.

I know from experience that using this method allows you to actually format the cells. One trick that I use is the create the file in Excel exactly the way that I want it. Then save the Excel file as an HTML document. Once saved, view the file in a text editor. You will see exactly how you want ASP to write the file.

ToddWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back