Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Down Side To Banner Placement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmcdanie

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
US
Hi,

I am in the middle of promoting a new informational site. It is not commercial or profit-based so our campaign is by no means highly sophisticated. I have created a small tasteful banner for the site and I am in the process of asking people to link to us. One person was told by her web designer that it is not wise to place a banner on your first page and I quote:

"that can effect your search engine ranking cause they read other sites..meaning they skip out of yours while checking the first page, and it's more loading time that isn't for your design."

She encouraged her to put it on another page. Is this accurate? I had never heard anything about front page banners effecting your page ranking.

Thanks!
Kathleen

Thanks Chris,

That was my understanding of how search engine crawlers worked but I am not proficient enough in the technology to automatically have contridicted her claim.

Thanks again!
Kathleen

What a complete idiot that "web designer" sounds! If you are friendly with this site owner you should tell her to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Sorry, but really! People like that who label themselves as web designers really irk me.
I've had so many conversations with people who have been told twaddle like that by supposed web professionals and giving people who have some idea of what they are talking about a bad name.

I say burn them all.

<foot stamp>

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

I've had so many conversations with people who have been told twaddle like that by supposed web professionals and giving people who have some idea of what they are talking about a bad name.
Replace "web professionals" with almost any profession and you can re-use the same statement again and again. Which is sad really [smile]

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back