Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubts - OnMouse and innerHTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcardoso

Programmer
Jan 31, 2005
PT
Hi,

I have a couple of doubts, first the code:
Code:
<span id="muda" onMouseOver=changeName();" onMouseOut="backName();"><font color='green'>A</font><font color='blue'>name</font></span>

<script type='text/javascript'>
function changeName() {
     document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML ="<font color='blue'>A</font><font color='#8AFB17'>name</font>";
}

function backName() {
     document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML ="<font color='green'>A</font><font color='blue'>name</font>";
}
</script>

1st - This is just to change some colors on onmouseover. This is working on Firefox, but not on IE6 (didn't test it on IE7)
2nd - The onmouseover only works on the letters, how can I make it to work on all span (defining the height, width area)
3th - I have that code under a link (<a title='text'>...</a>), but it not always work the link and it doesn't show the tittle.

this all code may sound strange, but thats cause its build on the fly when constructing a big page on php. I use span and not <div> cause the <div> gives me a break on the page, that I don't want.

Thanks for ANY help
Telmo Cardoso

1)You should try to avoid using font tags and start using spans with classes to style your text. I don't think you need javascript for what you are trying to achieve since you may be able to do it with HTML and anchor styling via the hover psuedo class?. It may not be semantically correct so you can also try this
Code:
<span onMouseOver="this.style.color='red'" onMouseOut="this.style.color='blue'">color change text!</span>

2)onmouseover works on anything it is applied too. It works on a span container, div, or other element that can be referenced via js dom.

3)? what?

for that last stament you can style a div to make it act the way you want. Try reading on display styles: block, none, inline ect... I think a div with a display:inline style will fix your break issue

heres a link

About the

1) that would only change that specific span. I have a name with 5 colors, then onmouseover it, I want to change it all (some stuff stays in red, others in blue, others in green, etc.) The way you told me, it changes only one color at a time.

2) I was saying that when I place the mouse over my name it only activates the onmouseOver if I place exactly over a letter (like an O on the middle doesn't activate the onmouseover)

3) the original code is like this:
Code:
<b><a title='Respected Member [XX Days Left]' href='profiles.php?id=".$worked['id']."'>$worked['username']</a></font></b>
where $worked['username'] can be (cannot be too, it depends):
Code:
<span id="muda" onMouseOver=changeName();" onMouseOut="backName();"><font color='green'>A</font><font color='blue'>name</font></span>

function changeName() {
     document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML ="<font color='blue'>A</font><font color='#8AFB17'>name</font>";
}

function backName() {
     document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML ="<font color='green'>A</font><font color='blue'>name</font>";
}

So I was saying that the link in the code (<a></a>) doesnt work and doesn't show the title with the days of the member.

Thanks

I mean to show how to reference style properties instead of using font tags with color attributes and innerhtml.
But here is an example of how to achieve what i think you are asking for:
Code:
<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
	function changeName() {
		var mudaObj = document.getElementById('muda');
		mudaObj.style.width = "300px";
		var	 spanObjs = mudaObj.getElementsByTagName("span");
		for(var i = 0; i <spanObjs.length; i++){
			switch(spanObjs[i].className){
				case "class1":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "red";
				break;
				case "class2":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "blue";
				break;
				case "class3":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "green";
				break;
			}
		 }
	}

function backName() {
		var mudaObj = document.getElementById('muda');
		mudaObj.style.width = "500px"
		var	 spanObjs = mudaObj.getElementsByTagName("span");
		for(var i = 0; i <spanObjs.length; i++){
			switch(spanObjs[i].className){
				case "class1":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "blue";
				break;
				case "class2":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "green";
				break;
				case "class3":
				spanObjs[i].style.color = "red";
				break;
			}
		 }
	}
</script>
</head>
<body>
	<div id="muda" onMouseOver="changeName();" onMouseOut="backName();" style="border:solid 1px black;">
		<span class="class1">test 1</span>
		<span class="class2">test 2</span>
		<span class="class3">test 3</span>
	</div>
<body>
</html>

Still having trouble understanding your problem with the span mouse over attribute. Posting client side code only or a link to the page may help.

[0] As said, font tag is deprecated and should be replaced by nested span tag and script its style.color accordingly. But, I would offer an explanation and resolution retaining font tags as demonstration.

[1] Actually ie and ff both try to perform and have equal chance of success. However, the way you script the handler makes the process instable. The mouseover happens infinite number of times (mouseout is asymmetric and can be well-behaved.) Why? Because you redraw the span tag. After the 1st redraw, mouseover is against called, hence, another redraw... repeatedly. The shows you how the browser struggle to stop at some random time.
[tt]
[blue]<div id="write"><div>[/blue]
function changeName() {
[blue]document.getElementById("write").innerHTML+=document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML;[/blue]
}

function backName() {
document.getElementById("write").innerHTML+=document.getElementById('muda').innerHTML;
}
</script>
[/tt]
[1.1] In the div write, you'll see repeated call of the mouseover handler, as explained above.

[2] This is the resolution. It avoids redraw of the node and hence no repeated call.
[tt]

function changeName() {
var cfont=document.getElementById('muda').getElementsByTagName("font");
if (cfont.length >=1 ) {
cfont[0].color = 'blue';
cfont[1].color = '#8AFB17';
}
}

function backName() {
var cfont=document.getElementById('muda').getElementsByTagName("font");
if (cfont.length >=1 ) {
cfont[0].color = 'green';
cfont[1].color = 'blue';
}
}
</script>
[/tt]
[3] To fend off all criticism, you could use nested spans.
[tt]
<span id="muda" onMouseOver=changeName();" onMouseOut="backName();"><span style="color:green;">A</span><span style-"color:blue;">name</span></span>
[/tt]
Then replace cfont.color by cspan.style.color. And you're done.

Today I don't have too much time, but I'll take a good look, try it, test it all :) and then post again if I have any doubts.

Thanks guys

[uAmendment[/u]
Upon re-read what I posted, this line too hastily made appeared in both function should be amended as a matter of course.
>[self]if (cfont.length >=1 ) {
[tt]if (cfont.length [COLOR=red ivory]>[/color] 1 ) {[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back