Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khabz

Programmer
Mar 19, 2013
Hey there I'm a newbie at assembly so I'd like someone to help me out w/ the following.

On the following code:

mov esi, offset Vec
mov eax, [esi]

Esi contains the 1st position of the vector and Eax contains the 1st number of the same vector.

And here:
mov edi, offset (vec + 4)
mov ebx, [edi]

Edi gets the 2nd position of the vector and ebx contais the 2nd number or is it incorrect?

Consider it to be DWORDS.

It's a very long time since I did any assembler programming, but from memory I think you are right.

As far as I can see [tt]esi[/tt] is set as a pointer to the start of the vector and [tt]eax[/tt] picks up the value at that point. The next line the vector pointer is moved 4 bytes and the value loaded into [tt]ebx[/tt].

Personally I would have left the pointer [tt]esi[/tt] in its inital position - the start of the vector and picked up the value as [tt]mov ebx, [esi + 4][/tt].

But as I said I am very rusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back