Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

doubt sponge enclosure case hdd

gamer87

Systems Engineer
Nov 7, 2023
BR
I have an Orico enclosure case model 25pw1 and a Seagate ST500LM030 HDD, the case contains a sponge I think its material is EVA and the manual says to place this sponge in the lower part of the case but this sponge in direct contact with the lower part of the HDD and the exposed flat cable, will the pressure between the sponge and the HDD damage the HDD flat cable in the long term or is it safe?

ST500LM030.3.jpg

esponjaa.jpgesponje2.png

It's quite safe and won't damage the cable at all.

The sponge's only purpose is to deaden any vibration which, over a long period of time, might possibly reduce the HDD's lifespan.

sponge eva orico press flat cable inthis my case?

composion immaterial? i not understand

in hdd seagate ST500LM030 HDD flat cable and silver cover in center motor risks fragile

I mean that what is does (deaden vibration) is more important than what it's made of. It's just a cheap and inert foam. It could have been folded felt... but these days the cost of folded felt is greater.

I know that this foam protects against vibration, but when it comes into contact with the lower part of the HDD, it generates pressure on the flat cable and on the silver plastic in the center of the HDD, damaging it in the long term?

See post #2 (and post #4).

I'm not replying any more.

When this EVA sponge ages, its chemistry changes, does it melt and stick to the HDD?

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back