Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubt about Routing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippadil

Technical User
Feb 4, 2014
MX
Hi to all!!

I have a question i'm going to take the CCNA course and reading a little on the internet of the topics i am in a middle of a doubt.

I understand that if you want to communicate from 1 host(PC) to another host(pc) in the same segment (subnet), the OSI model tells you, the communication will be through the switches and will use the MAC Address (Data link layer, but what about the same process but from one host in a different segment of the second host, i know this must pass through the gateway and this work is responsibility of the router (network layer) but can anyone describe the process in a words that i can understand i have some network knowledge but i don't consider myself an expert, and that's my doubt, in that case the mac addresss is used or only ip address are used or what is the exact process.

i can put an example.

In my work we have 2 diferent netwotk segments

10.1.24 and 10.60.136

if i got a PC1 with IP 10.1.24.15 and i made a ping to another PC2 in the same segment 10.1.24.20 for example, and if i run the command ARP -a 10.1.24.20 of the PC2 the result shows the MAC Address of the PC2 with IP address 10.1.24.20, and i understand why, but if a ping from the same PC1 IP: 10.1.24.15 to the PC3 with IP 10.60.136.20, i can ping it but if i run the same command ARP -a 10.60.136.20 shows no result the mac table of the PC1 does not have the mac address of the PC3, from that result comes my doubt Heeeelp!!!.

Can any expert explain this to me i will be very grateful.

thanks in advance. . .

Hi to all!!!

Anyone heeelp please someone could help mee!!!

i need this info to solve some problems in my work.

Heeeelppp

thanks in advance!!!

That's what your default GW & subnet mask are for.

When you run the ping command, the host compares the destination address with its own subnet. If it is "remote", then it encapsulates the packet in a frame whose destination address is the MAC address that the "default GW" IP address resolves to.
The frame goes to the default GW (which is the router for that subnet). That router throws away the frame, reads the packet, finds the destination IP address in its routing table, resolves that address to a MAC address, encapsulates the packet in a frame with the destination PC's MAC address as the destonation address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back