Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double Precision (Real, Double, Access & MS SQL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caradog

Programmer
Jun 28, 2000
GB
Guys, I got a bit of problem with data types.

I have an Access Database which contains various amounts of data stored on a daily basis. The format of this data in Access is in Real.

I have written a web front end to allow users to query this data in vb.net, however, the data is copied via a DTS package from Access to an MS SQL server with the same data is stored in a Double. I've noticed after the copy has finished that the data has a different precision in MS SQL, just a few points off, but its causing me problems...

I need to keep the data in its original format without any alterations. Any idea's how to do that?

the data field in sql server needs to be set at the correct scale and precision for example if in access it is always 2 decimal places then the field needs to have a scale of 2.

BOL said:
Numeric data types with fixed precision and scale.

decimal[(p[, s])] and numeric[(p[, s])]

Fixed precision and scale numbers. When maximum precision is used, valid values are from - 10^38 +1 through 10^38 - 1. The SQL-92 synonyms for decimal are dec and dec(p, s).

p (precision)

Specifies the maximum total number of decimal digits that can be stored, both to the left and to the right of the decimal point. The precision must be a value from 1 through the maximum precision. The maximum precision is 38. The default precision is 18.

s (scale)

Specifies the maximum number of decimal digits that can be stored to the right of the decimal point. Scale must be a value from 0 through p. Scale can be specified only if precision is specified. The default scale is 0; therefore, 0 <= s <= p. Maximum storage sizes vary, based on the precision.

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

[blue]Software code, like laws and sausages, should never be examined in production[/blue][black] - [/black][purple]Edward Tenner[/purple]

Caradog, the equivalent floating point data types between Access and SQL Server are:

Access -> SQL Server
Single -> Real
Double -> Float

DBomrrsm, floating point data types do not have a precision and scale - these are only used in exact numeric data types.

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back