Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double mapping of network drives. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpCo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2005
US
I am having what seems to be a bizarre issue that even our IT person doesn't recognize. For some reason, the network drives will map themselves twice on the user's terminals.

Example to explain myself more clearly:

I normally have one mapped drive "T". Every time I turn the computer on or reboot, then look at "My Computer" I find that drive listed twice. Once as "T" and once as "F". I can disconnect "F", but if I reboot the computer it just comes back.

Now this isn't causing any slow down for me, but I found that some other users in the office had major problems when trying to save anything to the proper directory. There was the whole time-delay with the searching flashlight thing.

Anyone familiar with this issue? Your help will be most appreciated.

Christy

Are you sure there's no logon script running for your domain that maps F:? Many companies have logon scripts that map some specific drives that are needed for applications. Every office I've set up has had at least one mapped drive that reconnects on logon despite being disconnected by the user.

If everyone has these drives, then it's a script or a group policy and can't be affected by anything the user does on the workstation.

Here's what I know:

1. The server is shared by our company and by the lawfirm that owns our company.
2. Our mapped drive is supposed to be "T"
3. Some people in the law firm are supposed to be mapped to "G", others to "F" because of specific programs they use.

In my case, the additional drive "F" is not needed. In the case of the people in the law firm who are getting mapped twice, they have both "F" and "G". When I disconnected "G" for the people who were slowing down when trying to save documents, it solved the problem.

This has never happened before and we've had this configuration for quite some time. It just started happening around December or January and I thought it was just a one time thing until it started happening to me a couple of weeks after the first incident.

Shall I just ignore it? It doesn't seem to be slowing anyone down. I'm just worried, I guess that something strange will happen or that some of the slower days are caused by this.

Thanks for your input.

Christy

I would just ignore it.

I'm sure it got caused by someone altering the way your groups were separated, perhaps forcing the logon script to run at a higher level of the Active Directory than it should have been applied.

Just so long as it doesn't cause any problems, I can try to ignore it. Of course, being the anal retentive person that I am, I can't help but compulsively rush to "My Computer" every day to disconnect that "F" drive.

Thanks ShackDaddy!

Christy

Just a thought, i had a similar thing recently and it turned out to be microsofts famous findfast, if you are running this then delete it from the startup folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back