Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double login XP Pro NW 4.9 sp1a

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwissy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2003
AU
This problem is driving me insane, just when I think I have fixed the problem it comes along again. One particular student is always being asked for the windows login, how can this be? Other students in the same OU set up in the same way can get on a particular machine but she can't. I thought it was something to do with the zenpol32.dll but even that seems to be ok now (not getting overwritten). Someone else said they need to be admins on the PC with XP Pro, has anyone managed to get over this problem?

Caps lock. Netware is not case sensitive on passwords, but Winbloat is. Neither is case sensitive on usernames.

not caps lock - wish it was !!

Are you positive the NW login p/w and the Win login p/w are identical? My users are always getting them out of sync...

As I said we use DLU in a zen policy for users, the students have an account which is supposed to be removed after log off, the teachers have one that stays on the computer. There should be no need at all to actually log in to windows. I am not sure what is going on, but it's not consistant.

You have to log into Windows as well as NetWare, that is why the DLU was created. I would, however, change your policy to delete teachers profiles on logout because I know what little baskets kids can be in a college situation

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

cwissy - we were actually able to get rid of this headache using NW6 and WinXP. Did it using a combo of disable NMAS and enabling SS-on. Unfortunately when we installed the sp2 client recently now all PC's require a Windows login again, after the Novell login. It causes no end of problems. We setup all PC's with no Windows p.w. so they could just enter through; however, some forget and assume they have to enter a p.w. or they check the "synch" box. Then tech. support can't get past their Windows logon to work on the PC nor can others log in to use resources. If someone knows how to get past it with sp2, I'd be very grateful. We control access through Novell, could care less which PC they use so Windows security is just a nuisance.

JGiles

Thank you, thank you, thank you JGiles, I was beginning to think I was going mad, I am so glad (sorry) that you are having problems too. We have uninstalled NMAS and NICI, I am not sure what you mean by SS-on though, please explain! I agree XP security is a nuisance. Wouldn't it be good if there was a way of just turning it off?
As to the DLU (TheLad) yes I know what DLU does, it automatically logs the student into windows with their Novell login and password.
As JGiles's message any help with this would be appreciated.

If you right click on the Red "N" in the system tray, one of the advance configurations is either the windows login first or the NetWare login first. Also there is a setting to take the NetWare login and put it into the Windows login automatically.
You do need to have the NetWare Windows Manager installed when you install the NetWare Client32 software.
I would also manually identify the Scope and the SA server. Just helps speed things along on boot.
Double check you TCP/IP on your workstation and your DHCP/DNS server settings. Hopefully no-one has been playing around with the settings sending users off to an unknown place and sending you on a wild goose chase.

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

cwissy,

Sorry about the abbrev. by SS-on I meant Single Sign-on

jgiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back