Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double File Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
I have a user with Exchange Client 5.0 talking to Exchange Server 5.0 who is having a problem with attached jpeg files.

When she receives the files they have a double file extension and her system doesn't know what to do with them (file.jpg.jpeg). They aren't viruses (they come from a known source and have been scanned). If we drag one to the desktop, it is recognized as a jpg and opens fine.

If she forwards the message to me, they show as file.jpg and open fine.

Is there some configuration that is causing this?

Thanks,

...Dave

the problem I believe is file extensions are turned on in your users case, you can select them in windows folder settings. In W2k/98 and XP by default they are turned off and filenames are shown by their names only. If the file extensions are turned on you will see the file extension which will look like a double extension.

For instance:
The picture filename in this instance is called EXAMPLE, it has the jpg icon and can be opened by internet explorer no problem. With file extensions turned on EXAMPLE is really called EXAMPLE.JPG. In your users case the picture filname is called EXAMPLE.JPG, with file extenions turned on it will look like EXAMPLE.JPG.JPG hence a double extension.

Hope that answers your question, but please post this question in the proper forum, its not an exchange question at all. Please remember this is an EXCHANGE 5.5 forum only.

Thanks
D

Thanks, but it appears to be an Exchange Client issue.

From her Exchange client she sees <<File: zach.JPG.jpeg>> in the email and Windows doesn't recognize it as a jpg. If it is dragged to the desktop, it shows as a zach.jpg and opens fine.

If I open her mailbox in Exchange Client 5.0 on another system, it appears as a .jpg and will open fine.

I can't find anything in the config that might be causing this to happen.

If this isn't the correct forum, my apologies but there isn't an Exchange 5.0 forum (yes... we're behind the times!).

...Dave

Hi, new to forum. Having read the posts above I have finally found someone with a similar problem. On site we are running MS Exchange 5.5 server with clients either running Exchange Client or Outlook 97/2000. The above problem happens in the same way, emails are sent purely with .jpg extension and arrive in Exchange client with .jpeg added to the file name. We have managed to identify that it appears to mainly happen from people who use Mac's. In fact in tests every single time a user with a Mac sends a .jpg attachment it will arrive as .jpeg. Has anyone come across the solution to this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back