Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double click on "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Hi Everyone,

I have an HP XE4100 laptop with 756mb Ram, 28gb hdd with 8 gb free space, running XP Pro SP1.

My problem is that whenever I double click on the "My Computer" it takes approx 2-3 minutes for anything to appear. Even if I go to Windows Explorer & try to expand the "My Computer" it takes the same time.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Should I try XP SP 2?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Things to check:

1) Make sure that there is not a CD in the CDRom drive. When you double-click "My Computer", one of the things it does is shows ALL your drives, including the label and icon for whatever CD you have in there.

2) Make sure there's not a floppy in the drive (Same reason)

3) If you're connecting to any network drives, make sure that they're proper connections. If you have a drive letter mapped to a non-existant drive, see reasons 1 & 2. :)

You might also wish to run a registry cleaner....

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Gregs suggestions + DiskDefrag and Disk Cleanup. Otherwise, you may have a problem with your physical disk, such as power drain and disks are running slow, or some corruption in your file table.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back