Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double backup - different schedule & retention policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdebrabandere

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
BE
Hello

We currently do 2 full backups of 4 servers every night:
the first onto jukebox1 - tapes go offsite
the second onto jukebox 2 - tapes remain in the jukebox

I tried to modify to one daily full on jukebox1 and one weekly full daily incremental on jukebox2

Problem: the incremental always bases on the full of jukebox1 rather than on the weekly full of jukebox2

I think of adding a second client for every server

I would also take the opportunity to have a different retension policy for jukebox1 and jukebox2 tapes

Do you have an experience with multiple backups or multiple clients ?

Thank you very much in advance
Thierry

Have you considered doing only one backup, and cloning it?

I set up two client entries for most of my servers. One for a weekly full offsite backup which uses one schedule, and another for a schedule that runs a weekly full the following night followed by five incrementals (and a skip on the offsite full night). This seems to work fine as long as you have the index space for the extra full backup. Cloning is good for some installations , I stopped cloning because of tape contention issues and the amount of time it takes. Are your jukeboxes connected to the same backup server? Unless your one backup server knows whats in the other's index you'll have the problem with the incrementals. A product like Alphastore may eliminate the problem.

thank you very much for your help

I set up a new client for each server with a different retention policy and I only do fulls and it works fine

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back