Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dot matrix printer with VS.net and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcklsn

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
US
I'm a Windows XP and VS.net newbie, so be gentle. I like my listings on fanfold paper for debugging, so I bought an Oki ML391 turbo dot matrix printer. I hooked it up and everything works great except that when I print out listings from within VS, it sends out printer formatting commands that are incompatible with the printer. They override the internal setup of the printer and screw up the line spacing and font selection. I know that I have the printer set up right through the front panel and that I have the right driver loaded and I'm running the right emulation for the printer. Actually, it may not be VS, but Windows itself, since the same thing happens when I go to the Printers and Faxes screen and print a test page to the printer. There may be some sort of default formatting coming from Windows. In any event, unless I can find a way to make these tools act right with my printer, then I've wasted several hundred dollars. This would be, in my opinion, a serious flaw in a tool as sophisticated as Windows or VS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mcklsn,

Am not sure if this is a VS.NET problem, an XP issue or even a printer related issue. My best guess is that it is printer related and you might try a search within Tek-Tips using "Oki" and "printer" as your search criteria. I turned up about 70 results using that but not sure which would be relevant or if another forum may be more relevant for your question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Hi
I've had similar problems with okidata ml series.
My suggestion would be to change the driver you're using (in your Printers control panel) to generic / text only.
This should not let windows output any formatting codes. Of course, you won't be able to print graphics, but I don't think that should be an issue for your purposes.

-Pauli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back