Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dos XP install with winnt.exe - certain files will not copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilopapa

MIS
Aug 20, 2001
US
I sure hope someone knows about this one!!!!!!!!!!!
I was xperimenting with a Win98 Boot disk install of XP pro.
All went fine except it would not copy about 5 files from the cd to the harddrive. The common thing was this: They all had tildes in the name.
i.e., "UTOPIA~1.WA_" was one of them. The error was, UTOPIA~1.WA_ could not be copied.
The setup was calling for UTOPIA~1.WA_.
But a "dir" listing of the cd from the Win98 Dos prompt showed the filename was UTOPIA_1.WA_
So, in Win98 bootdisk Dos, the file system thinks the names of these few files use an _ instead of what the setup script call for, an ~.
I know most people install it from the Bootable CD or copy all the files to harddrive first. But I am just curious what this nameing incompatibility might be.
An ideas, you file level experts?
kilopapa

Im not an expert but i think that when the Dos file system see a space or _ witch is about the same thing in Dos. He just show Utopia~1 if you have an other Utopia file it will be call Utopia~2. So i think that the "1" that Dos shows is not the same "1" from the file name UTOPIA_1.

Just try to name a file Utopia_2.any youll see if im right.

Hope it helps

"It appears that during the burn process (using XP's built
in Roxio software) for any files with a filename
containing a tilde (~) or dash (-) in them it renames
those files to use underscores (_) instead of dash or
tilde characters.

Setup subsequently will give an error message saying it
can't copy any file that originally contained tildes or
dashes in the filename. Examples are cyclad-z.in_,
cyclom-y.in_, headsp~1.wm_, and several others."

You can wade through this lot if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back