Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS Window in XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmichelsen

Technical User
Nov 23, 2002
US
I have 2 computers running XP pro on my LAN. WE have some lagacy programming vital to the store which runs ins foxpro 2.6 for DOS. These machines run it flawlessly so I know it is or was possible.

A newly purchased machine has problems. If a DOS window is opened using start, run, cmd, the programs simply lockup within a couple of minutes. If a DOS window is opened from the menu it produces a strange font DOS prompt. The programs execute just fine, but this trashes the appearance. The font carries into the Foxpro, and badly distorts proportions making it almost unreadable on the screen. What changes have been made to XP pro that might cause this, and can the prblem be solved.

Enough trouble shooting has been done to know beyond doubt that it is an operating system issue.

See if you find these of any help..

314495 - How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP

314106 - Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows

292533 - HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP

What would happen if you ran this DOS program in the Compatibility Mode of Windows 95 or 98?

Can you use the Properties from the DOS Window to check out your Font settings (right-click on top boarder of window).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back