Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS window Closes as Soon as it Opens 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexxSysProg

Programmer
Jul 2, 2004
US
I just got a used PC which was cleaned of what had been on it and a new XP image loaded on to it. The problem is that I cannot keep DOS open. When I start it [START->RUN] it opens the DOS window and then closes it one second later. This happens every time.

Is there a setting somewhere to block DOS' running that they may have had on the machine before? Any suggestions as to what the problem is and what to do about it?

XP is Vers 5.1 SP 2

A couple of questions.... how are you trying to run your commands? Are you just typing your commands straight into the 'Start | Run' box? If so, then this type of behavior will happen. Just to make sure, you have tried typing 'cmd' and hitting 'OK' in the 'Start | Run' box right? What happens when you go to 'Start | Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt'? Will it run from there? If you have tried have tried running the command prompt by typing 'cmd' in the 'Run' box and tried running it from the Program menu and neither of these work, try running the command prompt in Safe Mode and let us know the outcome.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thank you Joey and Dian. Both of your suggestions solved the problem. I was entering the command from the START -> RUN box. Entering just cmd or cmd /c cmd both work. I can now keep DOS up.

Thanks for your prompt help!

Diancecht

I can get this to work
Code:
cmd /k  color f1

but I would like to do the following but can't get the syntax
Code:
cmd /k  /T:color f1 cmd

can this be done?

sam

cmd /k color f1 and cmd /T:f1 seem to do the same thing.

cmd /T:f1 ipconfig also does the same thing but the command ipconfig doesn't happen. Where is my syntax bad?

mscallisto", the syntax for your command would be...

cmd /T:f1 /k "ipconfig"

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thank you IllogicallyLogical

That works...even without the double quotes !!

The person that wrote the cmd help was IllogicallyILLogical but you were spot on mate!

Thanks again
sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back