Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS startup and Windows 98 startup menu 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

borthwick

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
GB
How can I get a continuos bootup to Window 98 SE when I switch on my computer. At the moment I am getting a choice.

1.Normal
2.Logged (Bootlog.TXT)
3.Safe mode
4.Step-by-step confirmation
5.Command prompt only
6.Safe mode command promt only

and when I choose 1. Normal I also get from the Windows startup menu a choice.

1.Start computer with CD-ROM support
2.Start computer without CD-ROM support
3.View the help file

How can I get rid off these two choices when I put on my computer so I have direct boot to Windows. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

I have the answer for you.. ! go to start/run and type in msconfig then to advance..
here there should be a box that is ticked.. enable startup menu.. uncheck..

thats it!

The first is a function of the bootmenu=1 line in msdos.sys. Take the line out and that menu goes away. MSDOS.SYS is a SHR attribute file on the root directory.

The next item sounds like the config.sys and autoexec.bat of the floppy may have been installed on the hard drive.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

To edfair,

Isn't that for w2k? I don't think 98SE had that yet. But I could be wrong.

To Borthwick,

Check to see if:

1) One of the function keys is stuck (in particular F8).

2) You don't have the Win98SE installation disk in any of the drives (see edfair's suggestion--also add: check the CD Drive).

3) BIOS is set to start up from CD instead of HD1 (see #2 above)

MiggyD,
Yeah, there is something fishy there. Like a dual boot gone astray.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yes, do what edfair suggested and then look at your config.sys and autoexec.bat files, as it does sound like the second menu is being generated by the operating system (which was an option in the Win9x series).

But make sure you don't cripple anything that your system needs (i.e. drivers or whatever) that are being loaded by the individual sections of Windows.

Though, by the sounds of the configuration it is loading CD-ROM drivers and a help file.

To remove the first bootmenu that is coming up here is what you need to do:

Hit SHIFT + F5 and drop to the command prompt, it will look like this:

C:\>

then type:

attrib -s -r -h -a msdos.sys
edit msdos.sys

Once you are editing the file, go to the line that shows

BootMenu=1

and change the 1 to 0 (that is a zero) or you can just remove this line completely, either way is no matter. Hit ALT + F, then arrow down to Save (or just hit S), then hit ALT + F, then X

The file is now updated, saved and you have exited to the C:\> prompt again.

Now type:

attrib +s +r +h -a msdos.sys

move config.sys config.old

move autoexec.bat autoexec.old

Doing all of this should remove both boot menu's from showing up.

edfair pretty well summed it up, I just expounded upon his recommendation, in case you were unsure (as it seems DOS skills are quickly fading for most people).

Cheers!

While all of the above answers are correct.

I believe ttodd had the easiest answer that covers all of your different answers and then some.

I give ttodd a * * * S T A R * * *

[pc2]

tgus

tgus

Except that won't remove the 2nd boot menu, only the 1st... [purple]

Using msconfig go into the config.sys and autoexec.bat files and edit manually (which I hate doing in a case like his). If he knows he don't need them, he should just rename the files...

Either way, it's not a competition, there are multiple ways of approaching any problem, and I tend to go from a fundamentalist approach using DOS without booting the system first so that a quick CTRL + ALT + DEL can test it out without having to wait for bootage...

Cheers!

edemiere,

You're right, this isn't about competition!

However, you can use msconfig to choose what gets loaded in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

I only say that using msconfig is the easiest not the best.

As you said; "as it seems DOS skills are quickly fading for most people". The 'black hole' scares a lot of people. They would rather avoid it and look for an easier way.

I too have a long history of using DOS, and many times I would rather do something at the DOS prompt than to do it the long way with a gui screen. But I also respect that others don't have the same experience and skills that some of us have.

With that said, I didn't get the sense that Borthwick was comfortable with DOS like some of us. And may not know enough about his configuration to remove config.sys and autoexec.bat completely without effecting something else.

edemiere, your answer was a good one and it was probably the path I'd have followed. But it wasn't the easiest.

Peace!

tgus

Hi everyone

just a big thank you for all contributing with answers to my question which put everything right. ttodd had a simple answer to my first question. And used the second part of edemiere answer to the second part of my question. edfair was along on the same lines. many thanks for the speedy response.

borthwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back